Thursday, November 15, 2012

Waiting in the Summer Review

Waiting In the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru) Review

Ah… Ever reminisced about those lovely summer days you spent with your friends? Maybe you made a shoddy amateur film... Maybe you went to the beach… Maybe you encountered a humanoid alien…

What? You’ve never encountered an alien during summer break? Jeez, you’re missing out, because the kids in this series did! And man, was it quite engaging.


I honestly don’t think friends would sit like this unless they were filming an opening sequence to a series… Oh, wait! Oh, yeah, there are *SPOILERS*.

Animation/Art: 9/10

The art is very appealing and contemporary, and looks especially good when your iPod decides to stream high-quality video instead of obviously compressed video. Anyway, I felt that everything about the character designs were memorable, from the wavy-haired, bespectacled Kaito to the tiny, genre-savvy upper-classman, Lemon/Remon. Each of the six individual characters were designed with so many discrepancies that it is difficult to really mix them up, even if you do forget their names.


Although rain can be dreary, something about this seems more relaxing than depressing.

The backgrounds were breathtaking. Every colour was vivid and bright, and the settings looked very realistic, as well as fantastical. This series takes place in Kitakami, Iwate, and from the looks of things, it is absolutely gorgeous. Weather also plays a major role in this series’ aesthetic, and when it rained, it POURED (I’m looking at you, Morton), and being an Arizonan, it was absolutely wonderful. There didn’t seem to be as many computer-generated lights in this series like in Tari Tari, but the colours used to simulate lighting were perfect. The show was just a visual pleasure, and another thing to note is the exaggerated colour used for imagine spots, which separated the more natural colours of the series from the hyper-realistic colours of the imaginations of the characters.


They even simulated real Super-8 film! It’s pretty cool.

I personally think that, the newer and more high-definition a series looks, the better the animation, but this isn’t necessarily always true. In this series' case, however, it is very true, and one can see the difference when (and if) the definition fluctuates between high and low while watching on an iPod.

There wasn’t a moment when the animation seemed unintentionally choppy, and more often than not, I was amazed at how fluid and gorgeous everything looked. The characters were full of life, as well as the backgrounds, which might sound weird, but when you think about it, a good background can make something look that much better than a bad one.

Characters: 8/10

There were six characters the series focused on, with Kaito and Ichika (Senpai) being the primary focuses, as their romance was what the series was basically about.


Kaito Kirishima – If you’re an attractive female alien, watch out for his camera.

Kaito Kirishima – Obviously, he’s got a thing for filming. In fact, he inherited it from his grandfather from another series that came before this. That’s some pretty cool continuation, if you ask me (but I’m such a picky anime person that I don’t know if I’d actually watch Onegai Teacher or Onegai Twins). He and his friends are thinking about filming a movie over their summer break.

Kaito is a pleasant young guy whose parents died a while back, so his sister takes care of him. But this doesn’t get in the way of him having friends, or even finding the love of his teenage years (I don’t know about his life, but whatever—it’s anime).

Not much can really be said about this character except that he’s the kind of protagonist most viewers would possibly see themselves as (except for the whole “dead parents” situation).

Although I generally dislike characters such as these (because they are so common in crappy slice-of-the-life), there was this realistic substance he had as a character that really made him a likeable character for me. He’s into film, too, which is kind of cool to see, because anime protagonists don’t tend to be involved in one particular subject from what I’ve seen.

Kaito is a part of the craziest love polygon I’ve seen so far that actually works in an understandable way, because he’s in love with Ichika and is loved by Kaori, who is admired by Tetsuro who is admired by Mio. Teenagers.


Ichika Takatsuki – It’s easier to just call her “Senpai.”

Ichika Takatsuki – “Senpai” is Kaito’s designated romantic interest in this series, and is also a Martian Girl from Planet V (Aquabats, anyone?). She accidentally kind of kills Kaito in the first episode, but heals him and eventually ends up living with him over the summer. She is the main character in the movie Kaito and his friends are filming, and ends up as Kaito’s girlfriend in the end.

Ichika honestly did not appeal much to me in the beginning of the series because of her height compared to Kaito, as well as her informed beauty (I really didn’t think she was as beautiful as everyone made her out to be), but in time, I found to think of her as a very appropriate and sweet match for Kaito. She’s a loving and caring individual who makes friends with all of Kaito’s friends, and actually reveals to them that she is an alien, which really doesn’t surprise any of them.

She’s got this weird alien machine creature thing (Rinon) that I think is her guidance system for her broken spaceship. Don’t quote me on that. Also, Rinon as a weird/cute creature thing is something you’d expect out of an anime, but it’s not nearly as obnoxious as a few others because it doesn’t talk. It does, however, say “NAAAAWWW” all the time. I ignored it.


This is what Rinon looks like.

Anyway, Kaito and Ichika’s romance is interesting to watch unfold, surprisingly, and I was very happy when they finally got together in the end. I also thought it was cute to see her come back after her planet’s search team brought her back practically against her will. Good stuff. Good spoilers.


Kaori Kinoshita – You can forget her name, but you'll remember her character—that’s the kind of person she is.

Kaori Kinoshita – When a girl reminds me of Eponine from Les Misérables, I think I automatically find her to be endearing, especially when she’s mostly well done, like in this series.

So Kaori is “in love” with Kaito because, on the first day she saw him—when he first transferred to her school—she noticed that, despite him only recently losing his parents, he showed that he was strong by smiling as best as he could. She loves him so much, but is devastated over the fact that she can never have him, hence my connection of her and Eponine.

Now, the biggest difference between Kaori and Eponine is that Kaori doesn’t die. In fact, nobody dies in this series. Another big difference is that Kaori is kind of angsty quite often, and I found her to be annoying the second time she reluctantly lectured Ichika about showing her true feelings to Kaito.

Other than that, though, she’s been childhood friends with Tetsuro, who is later revealed to actually be in love with her. God, teenagers.


Tetsuro Ishigaki – Older than he looks, but still believably a teenager.

Tetsuro Ishigaki – This guy seems like a really cool and close friend of Kaito’s. He even goes out of his way to incite Ichika and Kaito’s blooming romance. This may seem like a jerk move to Kaori, who likes Kaito, but we later learn that he does this so that Kaori is available.

This guy is a very interesting individual, because he is kind, yet teasing to the girls. He seems to have a thing for Mio at first, but later on it is obvious that he is in love with Kaori. He also comes off as a ladies’ man, but has trouble with girls he isn’t comfortable with.

It was bittersweet to see that he liked Kaori instead of Mio, because I liked Mio, too, but he doesn’t seem to really make up his mind and asks Mio out to the movies in a high-speed chase between him and an alien ship. Whether or not he was being serious, trying to take her mind off of the crazy matter at hand, or a combination of both is ambiguous, but it doesn’t make him any less interesting.


Mio Kitahara – A regular Mikuru Asahina... But with a twist…

Mio Kitahara – Your standard moé character is actually a nudist.

Or, at least she is at home.

She was apparently raised as a nudist, but she learned it wasn’t exactly socially acceptable, so she’s been trying to hide it. It’s kind of tragic, actually, when we learn about this, and she ends up confessing to Tetsuro that she likes him after he says that even if she told her friends about this problem, they wouldn’t mind, and they’d help her through it.

She’s very “cute” and proper despite this lifestyle she was brought into, and all she wants is for Tetsuro to like her back. She never really gets the best resolution, because what happens beyond the finale of the series is not shown. I do wish the best for her, but I don’t think I’ll ever know, unless a new series is released and addresses this matter (but by then, it’ll probably be irrelevant in more ways than one).


Lemon/Remon Yamano – Call her what you will, but anything she says to the others in this series kind of puts a sour taste in their mouths. It's punny.

Lemon/Remon Yamano – A troll is a troll, no matter what you say. This girl is definitely one, and she is so genre savvy that she knows pretty much everything about all of the other characters, plus she expects what will happen to them as the series progresses—we see what she knows in the screenplay she has written for the group’s film. Her name was subtitled as "Remon," too, but I think "Lemon" is more appropriate for her actions.

She also makes them all drink some alcoholic beverage called “Dynamite Drink,” resulting in an embarrassing photograph:


‘Course she’s drunk. What does she look like, a high school student? HA HA HA HA

Lemon/Remon remains mysterious throughout the entire series, but eventually turns out to be the leader of the Men in Black, somehow. This is cool beyond belief, and I appreciate the strangeness of this character all the more because of this revelation.

Good work, you beautiful people in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Music: 8.5/10

I really liked the music for this series, so much so that I found it online and listened to it repeatedly. There is a lot of emotion in the background music, and all of it is appropriately placed throughout the scenes that take place in the series.

I even found the opening and ending songs to be really nice, although not exactly memorable.

I’ve Sound (not a typo; that's the group's real name) and Iuchi Maiko have made their way into my brain as anime composers to remember! Check out the soundtrack on YouTube, or something, if you like, because it’s pretty good!


Why am I showing you this picture? Because Men in Black. Duh.

Story/Execution: 8/10

There have only been a few serious romantic series I’ve watched in my day, but I’ve got to say that this one was very well done. It explored the real-life idea of falling in love with someone who has been your best friend for a long time, as well as the idea of somebody new who gets in the way of you trying to win over your crush.

Watching this reminded me of E.T. a lot (even if I haven’t seen it since I was, like, three), and obviously, friendship was a huge part of this series, besides the romance. My favourite part was when Ichika revealed to all of her friends that she was an alien, but all of them accepted her as their friend, anyway. That’s some real friendship, there.


This is bad news.

The love polygon in this series was pretty entertaining, as well, because the characters were all likeable, they got into all kinds of interesting situations, and they all remained good friends to the end. The drama between all of them was pretty realistic, as far as I could tell (save for the fact that Ichika’s an alien), and all in all, I just really like this series.


Such a cinematic scene.

Of course, it had its humour, but I feel like this was more of a romantic series at its core. I do wish there was more of a resolution for Tetsuro, Mio, and Kaori’s romantic pursuits, and I think this is what gives this series some fault. But despite this, I liked it a lot.

Overall: 8.5/10

I feel like I don’t exactly know what to say about this series except that I liked it a lot. It’s not necessarily bad that I don’t know what to say, but I can’t say that this series is the best in the world. It’s definitely one of the best ones I’ve reviewed, so far, up there with Usagi Drop in terms of my caring potential for anime characters, so that’s good.

Anyway, let everyone you know in on my little review website! I’ve got some films to review, and I hope I get them out soon, because I promised to have a review for Dr. Strangelove a while ago, and I saw it last week…

Anyway, thanks for reading, and spread the word!


Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment